What Causes Acne?
It is important to note that the exact cause of acne can vary from person to person, and it may be influenced by a combination of factors. Understanding the specific triggers for an individual’s acne can help in tailoring an effective treatment plan. There are several factors that can contribute to the development of acne, including:
- Excess Sebum Production: sebaceous glands in the skin produce an oily substance called sebum. In some individuals, these glands can overproduce sebum, leading to oily skin and contributing to clogged pores.
- Dead Skin Buildup: the skin sheds dead cells regularly, but sometimes, these cells may not shed effectively and can accumulate, blocking the hair follicles.
- Bacteria: propionibacterium acnes, a type of bacteria, naturally resides on the skin. However, when hair follicles are clogged, it can multiply and cause inflammation, leading to red, swollen pimples.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal fluctuations, especially during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy, or due to conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), can increase sebum production and worsen acne.
- Certain Medications: Some medications, such as corticosteroids, androgen-containing drugs, or lithium, can lead to acne as a side effect.
- Dietary Factors: While not entirely clear, some studies suggest that high glycemic index foods and dairy products might worsen acne in some individuals.
- Stress: Stress can exacerbate acne in certain people, possibly due to the release of hormones that stimulate sebum production.
- Genetics: Acne can be hereditary, indicating a genetic predisposition.
- Cosmetic and Hair Products: Use of pore-clogging skincare or hair care products can contribute to acne, especially when applied to acne-prone areas.
- Environmental Factors: Exposure to pollutants and high humidity levels can also influence acne development.
If acne is severe or persistent, it’s advisable to consult a dermatologist for personalized advice and treatment options.
Treatment Options for Active Acne
Various effective treatments are available for acne, catering to different types and levels of severity. At Prestige Medispa in Calgary, we offer the following options:
- Laser Syneron Candela Elōs AC: This innovative approach combines radio frequency and light energies to effectively address active acne at its source. It targets acne-causing bacteria and regulates excess oil production. The treatment accelerates healing and typically requires 6-8 sessions.
- Chemical Peels: Helpful for exfoliating skin, unclogging pores, and reducing acne and scars.
- Spa Facial: Includes manual extractions to unclog pores and prevent further breakouts.
- Skincare Products: Using non-comedogenic cleansers, moisturizers, and sunscreens can support acne treatment.
Treatment Options for Acne Scarring
- Microneedling: Improves skin texture and reduces scarring by stimulating collagen and elastin production. Not suitable for active acne.
- Sublative Skin Treatment: Uses Radiofrequency (RF) to improve texture, tone, and appearance. Requires less downtime and promotes collagen production.
- IPL Photofacial: Targets various skin concerns, including acne scars, using light wavelengths.
- Microdermabrasion Facial: Exfoliating treatment to reduce surface acne scarring. Not suitable for active acne.
Finding the Best Acne Treatment
Prestige Medispa in Calgary offers diverse treatment strategies for acne and scars, focusing on comfort and safety. Treatment plans vary per individual. Book a consultation to discover the most suitable treatment for you.Book Appointment ➕